The California Health Information Association (CHIA) is California’s health information management association. Founded in 1949, CHIA is a state affiliate of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). CHIA is committed to your success and provides membership benefits and resources to enhance your career. CHIA membership offers opportunities that can help you achieve more and successfully reach your career goals.
To qualify for membership in CHIA you must first be a member of AHIMA. CHIA members pay dues annually to both AHIMA and CHIA. Your CHIA membership anniversary date will match your AHIMA membership anniversary date.
While CHIA does not offer a group enrollment option, we do have a Corporate Partnership program. This program is designed for vendors or institutions who want to increase their visibility with our members and stay up to date with CHIA.
Why Join CHIA?
Membership in CHIA is an important investment in your health information management (HIM) career. CHIA provides an outstanding selection of member-only benefits, professional development resources, and networking opportunities. Benefits include:
- Subscription to the CHIA Journal
- Discounted registration fees for CHIA-sponsored educational programs and events
- Reduced rates for CHIA publications and products
- The right to vote, hold CHIA office (Active Members only), and to serve on CHIA committees, task forces and other volunteer activities
- Automatic membership in your CHIA Component Local Association (CLA) and to receive other benefits and opportunities afforded to CLA members. (A portion of your CHIA dues goes to your CLA).
- CHIA advocacy with state and national organizations and with our California legislature
- Authoritative information on critical topics such as privacy and security, coding, electronic health records, health information exchange, release of protected health information, reimbursement, compliance, new legislation, and more
- E-mail notifications of late breaking HIM news, important HIM technical information; and CHIA educational programs, products and services
- Eligibility to apply for CHIA scholarships and to apply for FAME (Foundation for Active Member Education) grants
- Eligibility to apply to the RHIT or RHIA Exam Fee Reimbursement program
- Professional development and networking opportunities at both the state and local levels
Update My Profile
Join/Renew CHIA Membership
Committees and Task Forces
CHIA Recognition Awards