The Exam Fee Reimbursement Program awards $100 to eligible CHIA Members, as partial reimbursement for the RHIT or RHIA exam fee. The purpose of this program is to support the needs of CHIA’s eligible members and to encourage students to sit for their credentialing exam within six months of graduation. Funding for the Exam Fee Reimbursement Program is made possible through donations to the CHIA Scholarship Fund.
The purpose of the Exam Fee Reimbursement Program is to support AHIMA and CHIA goals:
- Promote the importance of the HIM professional credentials
- Strengthen our Association by growing CHIA membership
- Promote the value of membership
- Identify and engage future volunteer leaders of CHIA
- Be a member in good standing of AHIMA and CHIA at the time the application is submitted and at the time of the semi-annual recipient selection process.
- Pass the RHIA or RHIT credentialing exam within six months of graduation from a CAHIIM accredited health information administration (HIA) or health information technology (HIT) program. Graduates from California-based and out-of-state programs are eligible.
- Submit the completed application and required materials within three months of passing the exam. For Early Test Takers: Submit the completed application and required materials within three months of graduation.
- Must not have received a CHIA Exam Fee Reimbursement, or applied in a different draw period (see selection period details below), at any time previously.
Applications may be submitted anytime during the year, but must be received by CHIA within three months of passing the RHIT or RHIA exam. Required items to submit include:
- CHIA Exam Fee Reimbursement Application
- Documentation showing the date the exam was successfully passed
- Transcripts showing the date of graduation from a CAHIIM accredited HIA or HIT program.
Selection and Notification Process
Annually in September and March CHIA will select the recipients of the Exam Fee Reimbursement Program from among the eligible applications received in the prior semi-annual period. The selection will be via a blind draw and up to ten recipients will be selected during each draw period. After each draw, CHIA will notify each applicant if he/she was selected, and checks will be mailed shortly thereafter.
- September selection will include eligible applications received March through August.
- March selection will include eligible applications received September through February
For questions, or to submit your Application and required materials, email Scholarship@CaliforniaHIA.org