The CHIA Student Scholarship awards $500 to help members complete their educational goals and enable them to successfully embark on or build upon their health information management (HIM) career path. Funding for the Student Scholarships is made possible through donations to the CHIA Scholarship Fund.
CHIA Student Scholarships provide financial assistance to:
- CHIA Student Members enrolled in a CAHIIM accredited Health Information Administration (HIA) or Health Information Technology (HIT) program.
- CHIA Active Members enrolled in a CAHIIM accredited HIA or HIT program and pursuing a specialty or higher HIM credential than they currently hold (e.g. CCS or CCS-P pursuing RHIT or RHIA; RHIT pursuing RHIA) or pursuing a HIM Master’s Degree.
- Be a Student or Active member in good standing of AHIMA and CHIA at the time the application is submitted
- Enrolled in CAHIIM-accredited HIA, HIT or HIM Master’s Degree program and completed a minimum 50% of program curriculum
- Selected California as their Component State Association (CSA) within their AHIMA membership
- Must not have received a CHIA Student Scholarship at any time previously
Deadline for submitting applications (including the Application form and all required documents) is March 1. Required items to submit include:
- CHIA Student Scholarship Application
- Validation from Program Director that a minimum of 50% of HIA, HIT or HIM Master’s Degree curriculum has been met (signature on Application)
- Official transcripts with grades from your HIA, HIT, or HIM Master’s Degree program courses. (Unofficial transcripts verified by Program Director are acceptable)
- Two recommendation letters from HIM professionals (can be sent separately)
- Written essay, of no more than 500 words, responding to the following two questions:
a. Describe your educational and/or career goals in HIM.
b. Describe how receiving a CHIA scholarship will assist you to meet your educational and/or career goals in HIM.
Selection and Notification Process
The total amount of scholarships to be awarded is determined annually by the CHIA Board of Directors and is based on available funds. The CHIA Awards Committee will review all eligible submissions and evaluate based on 1) essay content and writing skill, 2) academic excellence, 3) content and suitability of recommendation letters provided, and 4) completeness and clarity of the application. CHIA will notify each applicant if he/she was selected to receive the Student Scholarship by April 20. Scholarship presentations and award distributions are made at the annual CHIA Convention & Exhibit in June, but recipients do not need to be present and checks will be mailed after.
For questions, or to submit your Application and required materials, email Scholarship@CaliforniaHIA.org