CHIA has a long and cherished tradition of honoring the excellence, dedication, and service of those professionals whose steadfast efforts have improved the health information management (HIM) field and/or have contributed to the professional development of others. The CHIA Recognition Awards are California-based in scope, recognizing those who make a difference in the HIM profession. CHIA developed the Recognition Awards as part of its commitment to encourage, nurture and celebrate exceptional volunteer and professional leadership. The CHIA Recognition Awards honor exemplary service, reward contributions that build the HIM knowledge base, recognize excellence in preparing future HIM professionals, and encourage new talent and leadership.
Learn more about each Recognition Award Category and nominate a colleague for one of these awards:
- Distinguished Member Award
- Educator Award
- HIM Industry Champion Award
- Literary Award
- Mentor Award
- Rising Star Award
- Volunteer Award
Take a look at past CHIA Recognition Awards Recipients who make a world of difference in the HIM profession.
The nominations for each Recognition Award Category must be submitted using the CHIA Recognition Award Nomination form by the annual February 28 deadline.
Nominations must follow the nomination guidelines and must include the required supporting materials.
- All supporting documentation must have relevance to specific criteria requirements. The volume of material submitted is not important. Documentation should support what the nominee accomplished and specifically why the nominee is deserving of an award.
- The Nominator is responsible for ensuring that all required documentation is collected for the nominee. Missing material does not automatically remove a nominee from consideration, although incomplete submissions may adversely impact the committee’s ability to adequately and fully evaluate a nominee.
- Nominees for all awards must be CHIA members or CHIA Corporate Partners, with the exception of the HIM Industry Champion award which may be presented to an organization, company or individual which does not meet these criteria.
- Individuals who have previously won a particular award are not eligible to win that award again, even if it has been reformatted. They may, however, be nominated for a different award.
- A nominee may receive an award in a category for which s/he was not nominated as long as s/he meets the criteria for the award received.
- Nominees not selected will automatically be included for consideration in the first year following their original nomination. If not selected for an award in that next year, a new nomination will be required for the nominee to be considered for any award in any following year.
- All nomination materials become the property of CHIA. Materials cannot be returned.
- Members of the CHIA Awards and Scholarship Committee and the CHIA President are ineligible for awards during their term of office. CHIA Board of Directors’ members, except the CHIA President, are eligible for awards during their term of service. CHIA staff members are eligible for awards during their term of employment.
- Submit nominations on the CHIA Recognition Awards Nomination Form for Nominees and complete the form in its entirety.
- The nominee’s résumé or curriculum vitae is required.
- Submit other written material, such as articles, project descriptions and the like, only if it supports the specific accomplishment(s) made, e.g., copy page of article or publication.
- Provide two to four letters of support from others who can elaborate on:
- The nominee’s specific accomplishment(s).
- How the nominee has met the guidelines for the award for which they are being nominated, and
- Why the nominee is worthy of an award.
- Letters of support must be ’signed’ by the author and sent by fax, mail or via e-mail to authenticate and personalize the correspondence, preferably on letterhead.
CHIA Awards will be presented at the annual CHIA Convention & Exhibit. Award recipients are encouraged to be present to receive their award, but recipients may designate an individual to accept the award on their behalf.
The CHIA Awards and Scholarship Committee is responsible for the selection process. The Committee is composed of five members, including a member of the CHIA Board of Directors.
- Nominees are screened to ensure that the nominee meets CHIA membership requirements, as applicable to the award category.
- Each member of the Awards and Scholarship Committee is provided with the application packet for each nominee along with scoring guidelines.
- Nominees are independently reviewed and scored prior to the first Awards and Scholarship Committee meeting using predetermine criteria on a scale of 0 (not qualified) – 5 (highly qualified)
- Committee members communicate their scores to the Committee Chair prior to the scheduled committee meeting.
- The Awards and Scholarship Committee conference call is held and results are discussed. Award recipients are determined and announced annually at the CHIA Convention & Exhibit.
- Nominees that are not selected are automatically included in the selection process for the following year.